Tuesday, August 01, 2006

the first day of a new month


Today is the first day of August and it seems as though a new chapter has begun. Our friends Brian and Candace arrived in Honolulu yesterday to begin the process of finding the essentials, living quarters, job opportunities, and schooling for the kids.

We are still waiting for the sale of our house before we can begin planning our departure to the islands. After evaluating what our basic needs are, we have are lowering the asking price of our home from $195k to $188k. Hopefully, the price reduction will bring in a wider range of buyers. We are traveling back to Tallahassee this weekend to check on the house and to turn off some of the utilities. We are looking forwarded to having dinner with some close friends while we are there and to have a few days of solitude to listen to the One who illuminates the path.

We are preparing to home school the oldest girls through an online virtual classroom from K12.com. What an amazing idea, public school online! We will have outlines, text books, computers, and a designated teacher to have available for questions and monthly assessments for the kids, all for free! And the great thing is K12.com is in about 15 states now including Hawaii.

This morning I met with Rob (realsoulsurfer). We sat in his living room and just talked about life and how things were going. It was amazing to me that he would sacrifice his time to talk with me when I have nothing to offer him or his ministry. His genuine care for me and my family is an inspiration. One thing I shared with him was concerning my newly developing awareness about what it means to be the provider of the family. For so long provider meant a material provider, but now I am being exposed to a fuller understanding of the father/provider role. In the past, I gave 95% of my creative energies to my work and only 5% to my family. I am so ready to find a healthier balance for creative energies. I want to love my kids with all my being, not out of obligation but out of a desire to build a creative and loving environment for them to grow. While talking with Rob about that Darla called to say she may have the opportunity to make sufficient income through court reporting and that I should consider staying at home with the kids. Wow, what a chance of a lifetime! It will be such a change from the life I have known for the last ten years.

Over the last seven days I haven’t written one page of the new book project. I have been just talking with people about the concept of the book and listening to what kind of feed back I get. Thank you to everyone who commented on the blog with kinds words of affirmation. The next seven days I am brainstorming the synopsis. A daily devotion of creative wordsmithing, I guess you could say. Tonight I bought a green spiral notebook (at the Dollar Tree- living on a budget you know) to begin the process.

Well that is a pretty good update one what is happening to the Winn people along this journey. Who knows what the next 40 days will hold. I am looking forward with great anticipation!

May you find the One who holds all things together busy at work in the most unlikely places, capturing your heart once again!

5 comments:

RJ said...

Michael,

You are a blessing, bro! I loved this post and I am glad that you are growing throughout this process. I hope to see you maybe this weekend? I know that God is showing you numerous areas of growth and new paths for this life that He has blessed us with. If you would be around for Watermark this Sunday I would love for you to share a poem with us. We are doing a poetry time instead of musical worship this week and we are writing/finding poems pertaining to restoration. I don't know if you would be willing to write one and share if you are avaliable, but even if you would like to write one and have one of us read it if you are not able to attend, I would love for you to share regardless. I know God has taught you much about restoration and we have only skimmed the surface of that through our conversations. Please email me and let me know what you think.
::RJ

Susie said...

Michael, we are praying for you and yours as you draw closer to the One Who Provides All. I am excited for the direction that the Lord is taking you with your family and your position as 'provider'. He knows us best and what is best for us. It sounds as though you and Darla are listening with ears wide open!

Michelle said...

I love when God prepares us for the next step our in lives! I really want to encourage you and Darla!

I work and Steve is at home with the kids. It really works pretty well for us. It's different, and sometimes it's difficult, but overall I think you will all find it a blessing. We will keep you in prayer in this new mini journey on the big journey to Hawai'i'!

Richcrockett said...

michael,
jacqui income is what we live on and it works for us. i'm self (un)employed and that suppliments our needs at times. we also home schooled for 3 yrs and i know there's much more rescources available today. i think it's a great idea to explore this model as it would provide you the opportunity of daily times to write.

GoteeMan said...

Michael - thanks for posting. I can really relate to the whole provider discussion as well as the balance question.

During all of our difficulties, it has been amazing how we have been provided for. I haven't really done the providing... but we have had all we needed. Every medical bill and need has been met and paid for ontime. It never ceases to amaze me, and the sources and ways the provision comes are surprising. I used to stress over where it would come from, but He has shown me He has it totally in His hands, and He is providing for us and taking care of our every need.

Since Kim has been sick for so long, and unable to care for the boys, it has really forced such a deep and strong relationship between all of us. Before that happened 4 years ago, I was pretty often doing the "dump and run" to do what I wanted to - mostly "ministry opportunities", leading worship, etc. What I could not see at that time was that my primary role needed to be reaching, serving and loving my family first, formost, and always, and preferring them, by giving them the best, first and priority in my life. Through our circumstances, Daddy has really done a work there. I wouldn't go back for anything... the relationships we have now are completely beyond measure, and my boys' biggest ambition is to be like me - wow! That was a real humbling and sobering thing to hear. They see all that I have to do daily, and that they and "mommy" are the most important people in my life, and they want to be like me. Even though I really screw up alot, they want to be like me... and I want them to grow to love God and walk with Him in an even deeper way...
and all of this might not have happened if I had continued on the busy way. I was close to them before, but not like this. I am so thankful for them, and I want to be more patient, kind and loving to them as we continue to grow together.

Bless you my friend. This sounds like the beginning on something very wonderful.

Jeff