Sunday, December 31, 2006

the wonderful unknotter


My daughter came in this morning and threw one of her barbies onto darla’s lap and said, “please get the knot out of my Barbie's dress, you are the best unknotter!” I thought to myself that is absolutely true for me too. After reading darla’s post today, it is obvious that both of us have been grappling with the same issues. I wrote in my journal yesterday to God that I was mad at him for dropping us in this spot: this spot where we are not pleased with our current position even though this is the spot we have been placed for a reason beyond our understanding. Honesty, I think that is the thing God wants from his children. I think he is big enough to take my blaming and complaining. I don’t want to stay that way for long. I think that is why he has placed the wonderful un-knot-her in my life. You see yesterday I was twisted up in knots after two days of wringing my thoughts over how lonely it seems to be in this place we currently find ourselves in. Last night in a moment of sheer exhaustion and desperation, knowing I could not undo the knot I had twisted myself into, I threw myself onto darla’s lap and without words asked to be unknotted.

This morning I awoke and realized that the knot has been undone and I am not as anxious. Yesterday, darla tried to ask what was wrong, but I was so twisted inside I couldn’t even verbalize it. I made the most foolish statement. I told her I didn’t want to tell her because I didn’t want to bum her out and besides she couldn’t do anything about it anyway. What a load of crap that is, today I realize that she is the one I can tell and share my pain, fears, and doubts with. In trying to protect her from the pain that I am going through, I am hindering the thing that the Spirit of God would use to knit us closer together.

I am forever grateful that the One Who knitted me together in my mothers womb has given to me my wonderful un-knot-her.

5 comments:

Darla said...

you are my favorite... i love the way you think... i love the way God reveals things to you through the ordinary. i'm glad we get to untie the knots together.... ♥

carahinojosa said...

Yes--you do have an amazing wife. I can't wait to meet her one day! You also have a wonderful way with words.

Brian said...

woke up this morning
won't believe what i saw
a hundred million bottles washed upon the shore
seems i'm not alone at being alone
a hundred million castaways
searching for a home
(Message In A Bottle, The Police)


Just know that you are not alone at being alone, my friend. In fact, I bet there are more people alone in this world, even among those with loving relationships and Jesus in their lives, than those who are not.

I so look forward to when we can just hang out and get to know each other even more in person, but in the meantime it's kinda cool journeying through alone-ness together. With you, and your wife, and me and my wife and our friends... :)

CRASH-CANDY said...

"I told her I didn’t want to tell her because I didn’t want to bum her out and besides she couldn’t do anything about it anyway. What a load of crap..."

Michael,
I LOVE that you said this out loud! It's amazing how many times we hold things in because we don't want to "stir the pot" but all we end up doing is ROBBING our friends and family of the opportunity to know our heart better, not to mention robbing them of the opportunity to "be Jesus" when we need Him most.
I want so badly for us to be in relationship with you and Darla IN PERSON, but I want us all to be obedient more. My constant prayer is: "Sooner than later Lord, sooner than later"...

Kim from Kansas said...

You have a way with words--so honest, connecting daily mundane things with the profound and your emotions. Thank you for sharing your innermost thoughts. You and Darla are both gems!!!