Saturday, January 13, 2007

exiles: living missional

I got this book for a gift for Christmas. I am excited to crack open the pages. Last night I began the first chapter. The intro explains who might be reading this book.

"This book is for the many people who wish to be faithful followers of the radical Jesus but no longer find themselves able to fit into the bland, limp, unsavory straightjacket of a church that seems to be yearning to return to the days when "everyone" used to attend church and "Christian family values" reigned.

This book is for those Christians who feel themselves ready (or yearning) to jump ship but don't want to be left adrift in a world where greed, consumerism, laziness, and materialism toss them about endlessly and pointlessly."

And so I read on...

2 comments:

Kim from Kansas said...

Okay, I finally found that book you reminded me of when you posted this. I bought it a couple months ago, but then had books I needed to read more urgently...

It's "A Place for Skeptics" by Larson and Mitchell. On the front it says "A spiritual journey for who may have given up on church, but not on God". I'll tell you if I like it when I'm done and maybe send it your way.

Kim from Kansas said...

Oops..Sorry about the typo. It's a spiritual journey for those who may have given up on church but not on God.