Wednesday, February 21, 2007

the first day of lent

What does it mean to enter the season of Lent? Where did the tradition come from? Along with many people for generations long ago and for many to come, the people of God will travel through this time. I hope to emerge from this time with a sense that it has been a time of reflection and transformation.
Mars Hill (Grand Rapids) has setup a link for daily readings during this season of Lent. Today as I found my way into the sacred story of the people of God, asking some of the same questions of those who walk the road of faith before me. Maybe lent is a season of honest questions to oneself.

Luke 18: If you are content to be simply yourself, you will become more than yourself.

Hebrews 12: Only irresponsible parents leave children to fend for themselves. Would you prefer an irresponsible God?

Job 3: What's the point of life when it doesn't make sense? When God blocks all the roads to meaning?

Psalm 32: When I kept it all inside, my bones turned to powder, my words became daylong groans.... Then I let it all out, I said, "I'll make a clean breast of my failures to God."
I join with the many who will wander the wilderness of Lent these next 40 days knowing that we are not alone.

1 comment:

CRASH-CANDY said...

Thank you, Michael, for the lent link. I've been meaning to check out some lent readings this year...Up until this year I haven't really been compelled to participate in lent! But for whatever reason I need to explore it.

I LOVE the self-portrait too!!! GREAT SHOT!