Sunday, August 05, 2007

a tale of two christianities



(chart found on page 15)

I am reading what could be described as a very dangerous book. Dangerous in the sense that it risks being seen as challenging to the status quo. The books is Marcus Borg's "The Heart of Christianity." Marcus Borg is the Professor or Religion and Culture at Oregon State University and has written several books about the Historical Jesus.

I think this book is good for me because the approach of the earlier paradigm doesn't work for me so much. Borg is a scholar, fellow faith traveler, who is exploring with deepest sincerity the heart of Christianity. I am not saying that I agree with everything he says, in fact I find myself wrestling with a lot of what he writes. Nevertheless, his unending discussion and search for "how we can be passionate believers today" is worth the time to take part in.

2 comments:

GoteeMan said...

Michael - Sounds very interesting and challenging. I am reading one like that called "Pathways to Bliss" by Joseph Campbell, and another, "Misquoting Jesus" by Bart Ehrman. Both are challenging, probably more so the Pathways to Bliss...

I think it's a wonderful exercise to stretch our Godview and worldview pretty often... maybe keeps us from becoming old wineskins, eh?

Blessings,
Jeff

Anonymous said...

Ah, I envy both Michael and Jeff. Good books are blessings.

Michael, the old paradigm will not work anymore, no matter how much we try.

Bob Dylan said something we all know very well "The times they are a changin". And it's very true.

When was the last time you saw any living thing stayed the same? Not change... not move... not evolve? If it aint moving, it doesn't seem alive to me.

And why would I want a Christianity that deals with the afterlife? What for? What about today? What am I supposed to do with how stupid or arrogant or asleep I am today?

The old paradigm is about the future. The new paradigm is great because hopefully we'll stop being assholes before we die! Wouldn't that be great? I know my wife would appretiate it.

Awake thou that sleepest! Soon!