Monday, December 12, 2005

Narnia - through the eyes of a child


Good morning to all, yesterday I took my family to see The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, of the Chronicles of Narnia. As a boy, I can remember watching a cartoon version shown on regular TV around Christmas time. In that version, the demons and henchman that worked for the White Queen terrified me. And when they shaved off Aslan’s hair, it was though a dagger was driven through my heart. Terror gripped me like a sudden heart attack. I can’t remember back then who I felt the most like, as a child I think we try to imagine who we are in the movie. Have we lost the art of finding ourselves in the epic stories all around us?

After the movie the girls asked who do you think we are? Needless to say we have a little Peter, a little Susan, some of Lucy, and even some Edmund. I was taken by surprise when my oldest said that I was most like the centaur who fought with Peter in the great battle. How humbling it is to know that my daughter sees her father as a champion. If I could only see myself that way, the simple eyes of a child.

2 comments:

Darla said...

and don't forget that our oldest, the wise one that she is, commented that the whole time she was watching the parts with aslan, she was thinking of Jesus... woah... and we haven't even read the books to her, or told her that it's an allegory, or told her what to "look for." why can't we just let children figure things out sometimes by themselves... why do we have to interpret everything for them? i think they would do a fine job at it themselves if we would just give them some space, right? the sense of wonder and creativity and imagination is what i gleaned most from this movie... i want our children to have THAT...

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like such a great experience.

It's gonna still be one more month till it arrives here. January 6th.