Friday, January 13, 2006

a slice of humble pie

Sometimes eating a piece of humble pie is hard to do. Why does it feel like being asked to play second string when all you want to do is just get out there and play your heart out? Maybe it has to do with swallowing my pride and doing what I was called to do given the situation.

Darla was talking about wisdom yesterday. In the past, I have thought of wisdom as knowing how to make the right decision the first time around. And maybe it does partially, but I am coming to understand wisdom to also mean acknowledging when I have strayed off course 2 degrees and then making the necessary amends with whom ever so that I might get back on track. Humility must be a component of wisdom. Arrogance is surely not.

I wish I could explain to you how incredibly rich a life Darla and I have been given. Maybe the best way to do that is not to try and hold on to it, but to give it away every chance we get.

May you find the scent of generosity lingering through you and in you today.

2 comments:

kingsjoy said...

Michael,

I heard someone say once, "if you think you're wise, you're not." In other words, declaring yourself wise is a sure sign that you are indeed unwise. Humility, the willingness to acknowledge room for growth, is integral to true wisdom.

Gee~I sound wise today! :)

rob said...

amen to Kingsjoy's comment.
How are things out in Tally? Haven't heard from you in a while...trusting all is well and you are reveling in God's grace.

Rob