Wednesday, May 17, 2006

living in the big dream

Does God have dreams? Does He have dreams about how the world could be? Does God even sleep? If God doesn’t sleep then He must dream awake. How would it be to be dreaming while awake? Does God dream of pain and brokenness? Does God have nightmares? When He first breathed life into the dirt of the earth, did his dream become a reality to mankind? When we lay down, do we give way to the dream of God?

I am dreaming awake, excuse me while I dream. I love exploring God’s dream with others. After spending time thinking of the Big Dream, it brings me a deep joy to explore the reality of His dream that has played out for centuries and continues to linger like a beautiful vision of healing and restoration for the heavens and the earth. Whether it is one on one or in a large group, being engaged with people in an outward discussion of what is happening on the inside is the dream in my heart. It is this dream that drives me to serve him and submit to His dream.

Sharing my all with my wife and serving others together is a day in the life of my dream.

When my wife serve others with her creative gifts,
my dream continues.
When my daughters ask questions, search for answers, and come calling on my help,
my dream continues.
When broken pieces of my family are restored,
my dream continues.

When the advancements of technology become conduits for people to be connected in the best possible sense,
my dream continues.

A blank canvas is the beginning of a new dream. When I can give creative space for others to put their hands and hearts to a blank canvas,
my dream continues.
When instruments are available for the musicians to pick up and sing the song in their hearts,
my dream continues.
When I finish working in the yard and step back to see how I have joined in ordering God’s creation,
my dream continues.

What are you dreaming? Have you been sleep? Is it at the end of the day that our dreams play out the things in our normal life that we haven’t fully processed? What if you could work through the questions during the day? What if you could go to sleep in peace resting in the solace of the night? What might Psalm 37:4 mean to you in light of delighting in God’s dream? What dreams and visions might visit you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude,
We definently don't communicate enough. I am amazed that our journeys have become uniquely similar. I am screaming at my computer and my heart is bursting. Thanks for putting your thoughts out there for the world to see.

Now if I can just create an extra hour in the day to read everthing that you have written.

I thank my God for the ever-passionate soul that He has given you. Keep chasing after it.

mdwinn said...

Hey Chris! Glad you found your way to the site. We never inteded it to be an online community, it just has just kind of grown into this thing over the last 18 months. Yes our journey has been one crazy ride. Mostly it's like walking with our eyes closed. Hope you are doing well in Seatle.

Good to hear from you Ryan, I have also enjoyed our times together on the porch. I am looking forward to Monday night. Be encouraged about your song writing. All of creation is eagerly awaiting the real songs of life! May you have the faith to go where you can trust in the leading of the One who holds all things together.

RJ said...

hey bro! hope you are having a great week! thanks for Monday. Even though I still am working through even my own questions I am just so happy that we are all open to even talking about these issues that could easily be divisive under different circumstances. i just hope that you all understand that I couldn't voice myself intelligibly and that was what was frustrating not the conversation and definitely not what was said. i am glad that I have brothers who want to be challenged and challenge me. thank you for all that you have been so far in my life! be encouraged bro and thanks again! Drop me a line sometime!
::RJ

Anonymous said...

Man what a lovely text.

POETRY! Woooo-hooo!

Loving it. Van Morrison comes to mind. The Psalms come to mind. Art and exstasy come to mind. What a gourgeus text!