Wednesday, September 13, 2006

The gospel according to Spiderman


Yesterday in our local paper there was a free issue of a Spiderman comic book. Pete Parker’s life is very interesting. During the day he works an average job, but is it really an average job. Somehow his relationships and contacts in his day job are the inroads to find the marginalized, oppressed, and the victims of society. It is very interesting that Peter Parker goes into disguise when he fulfills the role of hero. He doesn’t seem very interested in receiving recognition for his good deeds in the community.

I wonder if Pete Parker thinks his life is dualistic. Does it seem like his life is compartmentalized into a day job that just pays the bills and another life where he does the work that really matters?

In a time of transition of my own, I find this perspective of the Spiderman story intriguing. I realize that I am a messenger of hope no matter what occupation I find myself, because each relationship and every situation I find myself in is connected to a larger life picture.

It really makes Paul’s letter to the people of the Great Hero meeting in the city of Rome come home:

“So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life--your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life--and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Somehow his relationships and contacts in his day job are the inroads to find the marginalized, oppressed, and the victims of society."

Lord, help me to open my eyes and see that everyday you place me in wonderful opportunities to reach out and love those you miss the most.

Great words, brother. They hit right with the book I'm reading. a.k.a. "Lost". Keep on writing.

Anonymous said...

Hello. Garrard turned me on to this entry. I love what you wrote here. Especially as one who considers himself a 'marketplace minister'. It's where divine oppointments happen most often for me.

What I find interesting is that Parker (in the 2nd movie) wants to renounce his hero identity and spidy powers but soon realizes that he can't renounce his deep desire to help those in need. He learns that he IS a hero inside, it's written on his heart, regardless of the powers.