Friday, March 09, 2007

tap tap tip tap - sounds of the true me


over and over there is this phrase that seems to come up -
.
.
“be who you were created to be”
.
.
this language is not new by any means but it does have a nuance that has been lost in translation for me. coming from a western evangelical background, i thought that who i was created to be was to look like a certain cookie cutter shape of the average middle-class american republican christian. that definition doesn’t work for me anymore. i am walking away from that understanding and embracing the idea that I am uniquely shaped from the inside out. To get to the core of the real me is to search for the imago dei.
.
.
i am reorienting my life around this concept. if I am the truest me that I can be, then the natural outcome is a sort of ripple effect to those around me. It impacts my wife, then it impacts my children, next are those that I have regular unplanned contact with, and then lastly those that I may only meet once. It is not really me affecting them (like putting on a bright yellow jacket.) it is a sort of divine spark that somehow just comes out from the center of my being.
.
.
the divine spark is in everyone.
.
.
it is like breathing, when you stop breathing your spark is no longer seen by those on earth. what happens beyond that i am not exactly sure? i hope that all sparks are gathered together into the Original Light of Being.
.
.
so how did I get to this place? i am constantly confronted by the pure life of the rabbi from nazareth. the narrative of Jesus captivates me. the more i read and experience the story; the more it transforms my inner man. from the Jesus story I look back to the people of Yahweh before him, and through their story they remind me to remember what was the “original intent” of God and man – to be together and walk the earth in harmony with all things.
.
.
tonight we went to see happy feet the movie. i think it is a great story of “being true to who you are” regardless of what others try to tell you about who you should or shouldn’t be. the film portrays well that life will hand you difficulties in the midst of that pursuit and it may come a great cost. but those momentary losses will pale in comparison to the significant ripple caused by people who are truly authentic. as in the movie, your identity may turn out to be the small key to bring about great reward to many; hmmm, that sounds a lot like the narrative of the kingdom of God at work to me.

No comments: