Monday, November 21, 2005

who is john carryman?

I have been intrigued by a man who has been traveling down a main thoroughfare near my house over the last month or so. He walks alone carrying his pack. He appears to be homeless. Each day I have wondered what would it be like to walk in his shoes. A few days ago I blogged about "the tunnel" which was stirred by a journal entry that I sketched out depicting a tunnel and in the image there was a man traveling into the darkness. I guess this painting is my response to the image that has been wrestling with my soul.

Filled with compassion, my daughters named the man carrying his bag John because they wanted to pray for him. I have been thinking about interacting with him, but I have wondered if I would be intruding on his way of life. I would love to know the God he knows. Maybe his god doesn't have a name, maybe he does. If I were to give him some money would that be ok? How would he receive the money? I don't think of him as a charity cause but rather I genuinely want to enter his world to see how it looks through his eyes. Maybe he knows the same God that I know but knows him more intimately than I do. Maybe he completely trusts God to supply his every need and I only trust God to fulfill my wish list and to answer my questions. Who is John the carry man? What truths does he carry in his bag? What could I learn from the man who has entered my world and captured our thoughts and prayers? May the LORD who holds all things guide our paths, and may his face shine upon us. Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

kingsjoy said...

I really appreciate the way you look at this scenario. This snapshot from your perspective teaches me.

Thanks.

And happy Thanksgiving to you and Darla and the kiddos.

Anonymous said...

When you find out what his true name is, I think you should at least write a book called "John the carryman."

And well. So many good questions.

So you do art all the time? I've stopped drawing.

mdwinn said...

So you do art all the time? I've stopped drawing.
I go through spurts, about every couple of months and I paint/draw something. My youngest loves to paint so she keeps me motivated. My mom says painting is good for the soul, I tend to agree.
I hope creativity finds you well!

Anne said...

"Every man's story becomes a part of me."