Tuesday, April 18, 2006

stories from the road of faith

With permission of a close friend, I am sharing this email with my fellow travelers on the road of faith.


Last Friday I was driving from Denver to Colorado Springs in a little 1994 LeBaron (picture it...not very studly). Right outside a little town called Monument, the serpentine belt slipped off and the temperature gage shot up. I drove it to the only mechanic in the town and had a rental agency come deliver a car while he kept mine for the weekend.

Getting back on the freeway, in a much nicer ride, I saw and old Indian or Hispanic man with luggage standing by the road. I just had a strong feeling I was supposed to pick him up and give him a ride. Maybe it was because I had just experienced the desperation of not having transportation. As it turns out, he was on his way back to Phoenix after visiting a relative that was sick in Denver. His name was Ordell Iron Shell. After some small talk about his native Indian culture he told me how similar some of the old Indian spiritual lessons were to those found in Jesus' teachings. Then he spent the rest of the way to Colorado Springs telling me how Jesus had changed his life after being in the military. He explained several ways he's experienced having new life in Christ...being dead to self but alive in Him. He sang one of the Christian worship songs he has set to traditional Indian rhythms/chants and told me how he is focused on sharing Christ’s message through his music.

Listening to this extremely optimistic and focused man caused the trip to pass really quickly. I dropped him off in a parking lot close to where the Interstate splits toward Phoenix. He thanked me and I thanked him for reminding me how God cares for us in all situations, especially those in which we can’t see the future. I drove off with him standing at the edge of a big restaurant parking lot sprinkled with cars. As I made a U-turn, I thanked God for the image of a man that had “nothing”…no transportation, no financial security, no impressive job tile…but who continued to openly praise God. After making the quick U-turn, I glanced back to wave. The big lot was still sprinkled cars, but I didn’t see Ordell anywhere. I thought about the scripture of “entertaining angels an our midst” and just thanked God for my powerful life lesson
.


After reading this I couldn't help to realize that the One who holds all things together is larger than I could ever image, but small enough to squeeze into the knicks and crannies of everyday life.

May you experience great joy no matter what lurks just around the curve of life.

7 comments:

Darla said...

"He sang one of the Christian worship songs he has set to traditional Indian rhythms/chants and told me how he is focused on sharing Christ’s message through his music."

wow.... wow... i think i would have been blinded by tears and driven off the road - what a moment this must have been. i'll bet it was absolutely amazing.

thank you for sharing this story.

GoteeMan said...

Amazing! I have met several travellers like this along the roads I have been on, and they never cease to amaze me at their insights and understanding of what it is all about. They seem to know who they are, and are untangled from the usual trappings. Thanks for sharing.

Jeff

mdwinn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mdwinn said...

I love how the lines of faith become a little fuzzy when it is all just boiled down to Jesus.

I found myslef riding in the car with Ordell Iron Shell. I wonder if I had met this man would I have thought about what his name meant?

Darla said...

yes, i wonder what his name does mean.... i did google and found an ordell iron shell who sings religious peyote songs and he's from the rosebud sioux tribe. how cool is that....

GoteeMan said...

According to this site - http://www.babynamesworld.com/meaning_of_Ordell.html
Ordell means "Beginning"

and here -
http://www.searchforancestors.com/surnames/origin/i/iron.php
Iron is taken from the mineral kingdom (iron)

and here -
http://landing.ancestry.com/learn/clues/fact.aspx?html=freetrial&fid=10&sourcecode=17397&ln=shell&submit=Search&o_xid=0031936496&o_lid=0031936496&o_xt=31936496
Shell can be from "bank", "shelf" or "bell"...

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Interesting....Ordell is a powerful person