Saturday, April 29, 2006

Who do you say God is?

Having stepped out of “Big church” nearly 18 months ago, I have wrestled with what does it mean to be an expression of faith on earth today. Over the last several months it has become increasingly clear that it really doesn’t matter what I say I believe about God, what matters is what does my life speak about how I live who God is.

Here are some questions to explore:

If I say that God is like a Father, but yet I hold a grudge against my father till the day I die, then do I really live what I say to be true?

If I say that I believe that Jesus was the atonement for the wrongs of all generations, but at the same time I consistently refuse to forgive others, then do I really live what I say to be true?

If I say that I believe that God created the heavens and the earth with the power of his words, and yet I consistently choose to rip people apart with my words of criticism and slander, then do I really live what I say to be true?

If I say that God is best expressed in my limited vocabulary as a Community of Oneness (Father, Son, and Spirit), and yet I can’t stand to be around other people and have no interest what-so-ever in getting together with other people who are curious about God, then do I really live what I say to be true?

If I believe that Jesus conquered death so that I might know true life, and yet I walk this earth as a dead man without hope by constantly refusing to face the decay and pain in my heart by numbing it with materialism, chemicals, or any other substitute, then do I really live what I say to be true?

If I believe that God gave up his only Son for generations of people he has never met, but I can’t part with my favorite _______, then do I really live what I say to be true?

If I believe that “church” is the expression of Jesus on earth now, and all I do is go to a building with a steeple on the top once a week and label myself as a “church-goer”, then do I really live what I say to be true?

If I believe the words of Jesus when he says “anyone who wants to find real life must give up his life now,” and yet I wouldn’t dare risk leaving my successful career in order to share and give my life away to a group of people that I have never met, then do I really live what I say to be true?

This was just a starter list for me…what if I went through all the list of things I say that I believe in and I find that nowhere in my life do I see evidence that I am living out these core beliefs? Is it possible that I am not really who I say I am? As much as society would have us to believe that our identity is based on a list of things we say we believe in, I just don’t think that is a reality of who God sees as an expression of faith on earth today.

6 comments:

RJ said...

not to discount what you have written here (which was very thought provoking by the way) but I wanted to let you know that watermark's new website is up, and you are featured in more than one way. Check it out:

http://www.watermarktallahassee.org

Much love Bro and I shall see you tomorrow!

::RJ

Anonymous said...

Number five was the one that stood out the most to me. The heart is so important in our relationship with each other and with God that for us to feel that it's surrounded by pain or decay will hold us back from offering our heart to anyone else (including God).

Anonymous said...

Thanks Michael. Powerful, life changing questions.

kingsjoy said...

It's scary to even ask these questions (mostly because I don't like the answers I find).

mdwinn said...

Thanks RJ, my family and I really enjoyed hangin' out with the people of watermark last night. There is such a strong desire to move out of religion and into relationship among you.

Hey Heather, Thanks for commenting. Give Darla a call she has lost your number.

Rod, I think that as we move from lists to relationships, we will begin to get closer to what God is doing among us in this generation and the one coming.

David, ahhh thanks for honesty. We are looking forward to face-to-face time in Dallas at the end of the month. Till then may the One who holds all things together look upon you and your family with His divine Providence.

Christine Boles said...

I like what you said about lists needing to move into relationships.
Lists on their own are often a good starting point, but more often a way for someone to feel smug ("Yes, I do those things! I am therefore a great Christian and can tell everyone else what they're doing wrong!") or to feel trapped in a failed attempt that ends up spiking autonomous self-sufficiency from God ("If I just work harder at this list, I can go to God a shining example, instead of the failure that I am. I'll work at it on my own, and if I fail, I'll be self-involved about it and sulk for days over my lack of success.").

In relationship-based Christianity, we get the focus off the list, and on to the bread-and-butter nuts-and-bolts of following Christ.