Wednesday, April 11, 2007

dreaming with leonardo


In my recent visits to the library I have been exploring the story of art. I find it interesting that throughout human history, man has been fascinated with attempting to capture the divine. From Rembrandt, Michelangelo, to DaVinci each artist has tried to recreate the beauty as seen by the eyes of their heart.

Watching the History Channel the other night, I found it very interesting the connection between artist, man, and God. I realize that unfortunately many times the creative works of man have been elevated above the Great Creator. Man, at times, has fallen in love with his own creative artwork. I guess that must have been a risk God was willing to risk when he lit the divine creative spark within our souls. Knowing that with the magnificent power of creativity we might seek to elevate ourselves, but at the same time through the hands of his artist the world might come to experience a divine language that transcends culture, time, and people.

I really don’t have a point here. It is really just a trail that somehow has caught my attention. I have talked to people about this dream I have that is somehow connected with a school of sorts that is centered on art. Maybe a charter school or something, and the main idea would be middle school, why middle school? That is the last group of folks that I would choose personally, but yet part of me knows how extremely difficult that part of the life journey is. Middle school is the transition from adolescence into adulthood but you’re not quite there yet. Not to mention all the hormones and social issues that arise during that period. I dreamt a year ago of a place called “mosaic learning.” I really didn’t know anything about it, but I found lots of things online about it. In fact I found one white paper on a school in England that made the break from traditional school patterns to do something special for this group of people.

Once again all of this is way beyond my comprehension or control. I don’t know anything about a school, education, or starting or running a whole school. And when would I find the time to do it. Nonetheless, the dream is still stirring in my heart. I can’t do anything to make this thing come to life, but I think that the True Teacher knows the dreams that linger in my heart.

Saint Francis of Assisi held to the opinion that we are all made with a divine creative spark. He took this position from the “imago dei” that is woven into the creation narrative in Genesis. He even went so far as to say that when we intentionally walk away from the creative person, our true identity, that we are rebelling against God. That is some pretty strong language. I don’t know if I can totally go all the way there, but it is a very compelling position.

I continue to dream that things can be different… I think Leonardo dreamed too.


No comments: