Friday, April 20, 2007

powerful words


FROM THE WORDS OF OUR SAGES ON THE PARSHAH:


--Evil talk kills three people: the speaker, the listener, and the one who is spoken of. (Talmud, Erachin 15a)


The speaker obviously commits a grave sin by speaking negatively of his fellow. The listener, too, is a partner to this evil. But why is the one who is spoken of affected by their deed? Are his negative traits worsened by the fact that they are spoken of?Indeed they are. A person may possess an evil trait or tendency, but his quintessential goodness, intrinsic to every soul, strives to control it, conquer it, and ultimately eradicate its negative expressions and redirect it as a positive force.


But when this evil is spoken of, it is made that much more manifest and real. By speaking negatively of the person's trait or deed, the evil-speakers are, in effect, defining it as such; with their words, they grant substance and validity to its negative potential.


But the same applies in the reverse: speaking favorably of another, accentuating his or her positive side, will aid him to realize himself in the manner that you have defined him. (The Lubavitcher Rebbe)

4 comments:

bikerchickmartha said...

The first thing that came to mind when I read your post is the picture you and Darla used to have. I am not an artist, but it was quite well done and absolutely spoke volumes. Our tongue is so small but so powerful.

carahinojosa said...

I really didn't want to hear this today...but I needed to. Thanks, Michael. :)

GoteeMan said...

Michael,
I think it also has to do with the power and energy within each person and the nature of how that energy is released. When we focus negatively in our thinking, perhaps the energy we send is negative and destructive, to us, to those listening, and to the one we are directing it toward. Ivory Assassins leaving a path of pain and destruction.

On the other hand, when we edify and send positive energy, we build up, strengthen and sometimes bring wholeness and healing.

Oh, the power of the spoken word.

J.

Anne said...

Michael, I've been thinking a lot lately about similar things. (So God led me here?) There's a seduction in thinking and speaking negatively; a drug-like rush of power that courses through my body and closes my heart. In Ephesians 5:18 this morning I read, "...making music to the Lord in your hearts". So I am striving to keep my heart open so God can enter in, to fill it with God melody instead of the screech of anger and negativity. Heartsong; that will be my word for today.