Monday, March 06, 2006

clutter and clean

Wow this weekend was so beautiful. Dirt, grime, mildew, all made for one disgusting weekend. One part bleach, one part JoMax, and three parts water, and BAMM you’ve got yourself one heck of an aluminum siding cleaning solution. As I sprayed the side of the house, I watched the grime and mildew melt away. Once I began, cleaning became almost therapeutic. I was determined to finish the project last night, even with having to make a trip to the grocery store for more bleach. As the last bit of sunlight faded, I rinsed the last coat off. It was finished. Or at least we are now ready to work on the next project.

While I was at work on the outside, Darla was busy at work on the inside. Deep cleaning in the closets can be a daunting task. Where do you start? Two thirty gallon bags later, she emerged from the kid’s room. Simplify. That is the way to go.

I can’t help but to see that what we do in our physical life has some reflection as to what is happening on our spiritual journey. I would have rather played golf and I am sure Darla had other things she would rather do than clean the house. Cleansing and simplifying must be spiritual disciplines. Not that we are completely clean and have simplified every area of our life, but at least we are on the journey together.

2 comments:

Darla said...

we are on the journey together to a simplified life - read my entry today! :) i love you. we are one.

Anne said...

I was going to comment on your beautiful thoughts about God, and how remarkable it is to see the love you and Darla have for each other. And then I started reading about your aluminum siding cleaning solution and I immediately wondered what JoMax was, and where do you get those long metal spraying attachments and if it hooks to a regular hose. Can you tell I'm a single mom without a lot of talent for maintenance, but has really mildewy siding? God must laugh at my brain that can so quickly go from thinking about him to contemplating aluminum siding!