Wednesday, March 01, 2006

a season of anticipation and restoration

Today is the beginning of the season of Lent. I have never really appreciated this time of the year. Yesterday my first born child came home very excited about Lent, she said her teacher (in public school) had explained why Lent was observed. She was stirred with passion. Because of her initiation, we are observing Lent as a family.

For me Lent has been about giving something up over a 40 day period, like chocolate or fatty foods. After listening to the Lent discussion from Mars Hill (Grand Rapids) I am coming to an awareness that Lent is about something greater. If God’s big project is about bringing wholeness to a broken people, then Lent is an anticipation of that work realized in His Son Jesus Christ. I am asking myself, where am I most broken on the inside from the Hope that is promised? Many of you know of my bout with jealousy, I am giving that over to Him, because I don’t know how to give it up. I want to be restored and completely made whole from that self-inflicted wound.

Today on the way into work, I got a three wick candle to illuminate my way as I go through the work day. It is a reminder for me that I am being restored moment by moment.

May the scent of the LORD be upon you and guide you through the deepest journey of forgiveness and mercy. May the nostrils of your soul breathe in and out the goodness of Yahweh. May your light shine the Glory of the One who holds all things together. Amen Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Darla said...

yes, the perfect journey for sure. thank you for being the priest of our home - thank you for being willing to learn about things that our daughter is passionate about - things that may seem so foreign to us, but in the end, bring us closer together as a family. may God be with you today as you breathe in your vanilla-scented goodness! :) may it remind you that God is sweet on YOU, michael.

kingsjoy said...

Very cool that the public school teacher taught about Lent. And that you took a cue from your daughter to explore it further. Thanks for the prayer--I receive that blessing.

Happy Lent! (Can you say that? hehe)