Monday, June 19, 2006

the reluctant conversationalist

Are you supposed to speak to someone about something? Ever had the nudge on your heart like I know I should go speak to so-and-so. Do you ever have this sense that this conversation is long over due? Maybe it’s time to have this little talk.

Is it possible that future events hang in the balance while we deliberate the “right time” to have the conversation?

As we look back through the sacred narrative of God’s people, do we see any history changing conversations that almost did not take place because of mankind’s hesitation to say what needs to be said? In retrospect, it’s hard not to acknowledge the fact that we come from a long line of reluctant conversationalist. We are a people who are convinced that things will or will not somehow work themselves out. Rather than speaking the words of truth that must be said, we cower in fear of meeting face to face with these life issues for fear of discomfort and what the outcome might be.

The reluctant ancient ones:

Jacob did not want to meet face to face with his brother Esau after stealing his birthright blessing.

Joseph did not want to talk with his brothers in Egypt after they had betrayed him.

Moses questioned whether or not he could speak to Pharaoh.

Ester seemed reluctant to tell the King her true Jewish heritage.

Jonah was completely defiant in wanting to speak to the people of Nineveh.

It is amazing to think of these conversational events as somehow locked in sacred time, waiting until someone would have the courage and faith to have the talk they knew they should have with the person they know to have it with. What was waiting to happen?

Would the wound of a brother remain unforgiven?

Would the heart of a family remain broken?

Would 2 million people remain in bondage?

Would an entire people be executed?

Would a complete city be destroyed?

We now know the massive power of healing and freedom that resulted because the pioneers of faith had the conversations that needed to take place. We know the life changing potential in having the heart to heart talk with those whom we are seemingly at odds with or disconnected with. This must be the tone of the redemptive movement of the Redeemer. Hearing the Voice of the-One-who-holds-all-things-together is one thing, but having the courage to act on it is the difference between really living and barely breathing.

How can one know what to say in those intense moments? Is it possible to be guided by the divine in the conversations of our lives? Is it possible to be so in tune with the sacred rhythm of the Spirit of God to say what needs to be said? What does it look like on earth to live this way?

Jesus Christ

Conversation after conversation, Jesus always seems to “go there” with everyone he meets. Maybe that is why people were so affected by the words he said. His words seemed to shoot like arrows straight to the wounds of the heart. He was the perfect agent of restoration. His words may have seemed difficult to his hearers, but they contained the potential to set the hearer free should they allow the truth to enter into their protected personal world. His words were the balm of healing to the wounds of their soul.

So the question remains, could the words of the young disciples of Jesus contain the same power to restore the decay in the hearts of the shattered and broken? Could they release freedom for the prisoners?

How many days will pass before we bow our heads, bend our knees, and engage in the conversations that could change life as we know it?

While it is still day, may it be on earth as it is in Heaven.

3 comments:

GoteeMan said...

Michael - a while back, I was driving home one day and got behind a guy in a Camaro Z-28. He kinda looked like a cross between a young Richard Petty and a satanist. Anyway, rough dude. God told me to pull in at the 7-11 and talk to him. I passed the turn in, and Kim turns and says "are you supposed to talk to that guy?". Shit (just being honest - many of us think it, so I will just say it). Well, no getting out of it, so I turn around and go back. I pull in and wait at the door. When he starts out, I open the door and ask if I can talk to him for a minute. He says "yeah, sure". I notice a tattoo of a pentagram on one arm as I'm talking to him. He's about 35, tall, and has dark shades and long hair. There was amazing grace as I told him about God's love for him. I asked him if I gave him a bowl of dirty water and a rag, could he get clean with it. He said "no", and I explained that trying to do right to make up for our wrong was kinda like that. Then I explained that God had made a way, and offered a gift. I held out something for him, and told him I was giving it to him. I asked him when it became his, and he responded "When I reached out and took it". I explained it was the same with God's gift. I asked him if he wanted to receive that gift right now, and his response was "I reject HIM"... not me, not what I was saying, but HIM. I responded by asking, "Do you really want to reject HIM?" "YES" he responded. I left him with the gift I had given him, and told him that the offer stands from God, and that God really loves Him and desires for him to know Him. I also told him that it was my responsibility to obey God and to come talk to him and remind him that God loves him, and that if I had not, his blood would have been on my hands. He responded "You're right about that..." I told him once again that God loves him and was reaching out to him, and that if he ever felt that draw on his heart, to really consider it... He said he would. I shook his hand and thanked him for listening, and then we both left. As I was driving away, God said to me "not yet, but he will be mine". I felt a real sense of peace that Jason would come to that place soon.

The next day, a friend at work who didn't know the Lord asked me what was going on lately. I told him about talking to Jason, and my friend asked Jesus into his heart that day....

You just never know how things are going to work out, but we aren't responsible for the results - only for following His nudges....

Thanks for the post... brought back some good memories...

Hope you and the family are doing well.

Jeff

strattonglaze said...

thanks for this. right where i am at today.

Susie said...

Michael, please pray for me as there are conversations I must have, and soon! You are so right. We constantly dance around the white elephant parading before us. Why can't we speak? Why DON'T we speak??? You wrote this on Monday, but God chose to show it to me today, after I have had this same conversation with two people. God, give me the courage to stand firm and to speak your truth!