Friday, June 02, 2006

a week of things coming full circle

Living in the now
when the past comes forward
so that the future can be set in motion today

I heard this message illustrated in a teaching from Rob Bell recently. I had no idea that it was going to be a life lesson that would literally be played out in my every day life.

Things come full circle
At the age of nineteen, I began my first career. It was in a men’s retail clothing chain. Along the way I made some really selfish and lazy choices. Four years later near the end of that job, I was an assistant manager in a store in Mobile, Alabama. One busy Saturday I was running the register. A lady was buying lots of back to school clothes for her kids. There was a promotional on some silk shirts buy two get them both at half price. I noticed that I had rang up just one silk shirt for her at full price. I told her to pick out one more because of the promotion. When she did, rather than ring it up, I just put it in the bag. I was lazy and didn’t want to void the whole transaction and start over. One of the other employees informed our loss prevention team at the home office. A few days later, the man from loss prevention, dressed all in black, came and interviewed all management staff. When he sat down with me, he had the sales journal tape with the transaction in question. He explained to me that I had two choices; I could stay and defend the alleged violation of which they would persecute to the full extent of the law or I could resign immediately. I choose the second.

That event caused a domino effect of things. Being newly married for only a few months, this was a deep wound at the core of my identity as a man, and as the provider for the home. I didn’t know it at the time, but it was the shaping of my understanding of the character of integrity.

Yesterday, while at lunch I was journaling about how life is like a mosaic. In the middle of writing, I looked up, and the man from loss prevention walked right past me. After living for nearly 10 years with this wound, I thought to myself I am not going to let this opportunity to share with him how my journey has come full circle. When he came back by the second time, I stopped him and asked him what his name was. He did not recognize me. I told him that we had first met in Mobile a long time ago. He was amazed that I remembered him. I shared with him that I was wrapping up a rewarding career in marketing and public relations in order to go start a new mission work in Honolulu. He was very pleased that I had done well and that I was moving on to do a positive work for others. He asked if I had spoken with any of the people from Mobile. I told him that I had not but I did marry on of the assistant managers from another store, Darla. He asked if I had a picture of my family. I showed him a picture of my family that I carry in my journal. He wished me the best and went on to order his food.

This week has been a week of things coming full circle, from the wedding of my little brother, the reuniting of my family, and the remembrance of my own beginnings in marriage and friendships of the past.

The past has been brought forward so that the future may move forward today! Wow! That is absolutely crazy! I must be in life therapy lying on God’s couch. All I can say is that my soul is being restored. Amen.

3 comments:

Brian said...

Just this morning Candace and I were talking about things in our life coming full circle. 17 years ago we left Hawaii & moved to San Francisco, one week after getting married. We had $1500 and a bunch of wedding gifts (microwaves, dishes and such.) We had nowhere to live, no jobs waiting for us and didn't even have God in our lives (as far as we were aware, anyway.)

Now we are packing everything up and moving back to Hawaii. Not much money. Nowhere to live and no paying jobs waiting for us. But this time we're moving because we have heard the voice of the One who makes all things possible.

He is the Alpha and Omega. Truly the Beginning and the End. If we just pay attention, we can see Him in everything and hear Him constantly.

Darla said...

i can't even tell you what this did to me as well.... flashing back to that time in our lives, it was so absolutely horrible.... two months married, and we lost everything we knew at the time, which then sent our lives into a downward spiral... but all of that led us to this very day... or yesterday, where you came face to face with that.... so, not only was this healing for you, but for me as well... to reflect back on that time in our lives where we could have easily gotten a divorce... my mom even says, thinking back to that time, i don't know how you all survived... and to think, we didn't even know Jesus - the Healer. but the One who knows ALL things, knew where we would be today.... and today is SO good. you, michael, DO have what it takes... thank you for being my partner for LIFE...

Darla said...

"But this time we're moving because we have heard the voice of the One who makes all things possible."

yes, and this is our hope too! :) we love you guys and it is amazing how the paths we have gone done are so very similar. to think that God crossed candace's and i's path 20 years ago, that brief summer of '85, for this very day.... that blows me away every single time i think of it. the past does move us forward.... I LOVE GOD!!!!!!!!!!